The department was initiated during the period 1989-90. Some of the key milestones were.
- Part of a multinational phase 3 clinical trials
- Procurement of Dexa Bone-densitometer in 2002 aided in better diagnosis.
- Supports major surgeries and procedures for diabetic patients. (Eg: Renal transplant CABG)
- Cross functional team structuring with the department of neurosurgery for the management of Pituitary gland ailments
- Handles complex pituitary problems
- All kinds of metabolic bone diseases are managed and treated.
- Hyper-parathirodism various other thyroid conditions such as Cancer, Autoimmune disease, Goiter, etc are treated. The Gamma Camera and Isotops studies have aided in the diagnosis and management of these disorders.
- Radio iodine therapy is a part of the available armamentarium of the clinicians in this department.
- Evaluation of type I and type II diabetes.
- The department runs two specific community oriented clinics
- Diabetic clinic
- Metabolic bone unit
- Presently research and training initiatives undertaken by the department are.
- Phase II Diabetic Nephropathy
- Phase III – 2 Multinational Ostioporosis trials
Scientific and Clinical Papers Presented Are
- Extra Hepatic Portal Venous Obstruction in Children: Anthropometry, Growth hormone and Insulin like Growth Factor-1. ,1997
- B Cell Function and Insulin Sensitivity in Tropical Calcific pancreatitis from North India. April 1997
- Growth Charts suitable for evaluation of India children. 1998.
- Ectopic Acth Syndrom due to Bronchial Carcinoid Tumor. Case report. 1998.
- Coronary Heart Diseases in Diabetes. Role of Hyperglycemia and Hyperinsulinemia in 1995
Diagnostics, Facilities & Treatment
- Hormonal tests, which are done in Bio-chemistry
- Densitometer / Wall mounted holtain Statiometer and CGMS – Continuos Glucose Monitoring System.
Community Outreach Programme Include
- Osteoporosis awareness
- Diabetes education